Australian bowler Andrew Tye (R) celebrates a wicket with teammate Ashton Agar during the second match between Australia and Pakistan as part of a T20 tri-series which includes host country Zimbabwe at the Harare Sports Club on July 2, 2018. (Photo by Jekesai NJIKIZANA / AFP) (Photo credit should read JEKESAI NJIKIZANA/AFP/Getty Images)

Adam Zampa, Kane Richardson and AJ Tye have decided to leave the IPL as India continue to struggle with growing COVID 19 cases.

India have seen daily cases soar to just under 350,000 right in the peak of the IPL.

Tye returned home over the weekend with fears players could be locked out of Australia growing as the severity of the situation in India worsens.

Tye told Cricket.com.au he wasn’t the only Australian player looking to depart with some enquiring with him how he managed to get himself home.

“There’s definitely concerns,” Tye told SEN. “A lot of guys have been in touch today once they’ve realised I was leaving.

“Some of the guys are very interested in what route I took home and how I approached it. Other guys are just happy to make sure I’m OK and I’m in a good space.

“There is some concern. I’m not sure if I’ll be the only one, but that’s too early for me to say.”

ESPNCricinfo reported that two other Australian players have already told their franchise that they wish to leave the IPL bubble and return home.

With Western Australia’s restrictions under premier Mark McGowan often being quite strict, Tye didn’t want to take any risks.

“I just thought I should try and get on the front foot and get home before I got locked out of the country,” said Tye, who got married in Perth earlier this month, shortly before he departed for India.

“I think I’ve had 11 days at home and out of the bubble since August.

“I just wanted to get home. Dealing with the stress of bubble life has taken its toll.”

Tye said the big-money deals in the IPL made the decision somewhat difficult but health always had to come first.

Tye said the unknown nature of how the country is able to handle the growing concerns from the virus is another reason he decided to come home.

“From a player safety point of view, we’re safe now but is it going to stay safe?,” he said.

“But looking at it from an Indian point of view, how are these companies and franchises spending so much money, and the government, on the IPL when there’s people not being able to get accepted into hospital?

“If sport can continue and be one of those avenues to relieve stress or give a glimmer of hope that the world is OK and there is light at the end of the tunnel, I think it should go ahead.

“But I know that’s not everyone’s feelings and I completely respect everyone’s views from all angles.”

Cricket Australia issued a statement on Monday morning saying they were working with the players to keep them safe and healthy.

“Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers’ Association remain in regular contact with Australian players, coaches and commentators taking part in the Indian Premier League, which is being conducted under strict biosecurity protocols,” a statement on Monday afternoon read.

“We will continue to listen to feedback from those on the ground in India and the advice of the Australian Government.

“Our thoughts are with the people of India at this difficult time.”