BBL - Heat v Hurricanes
BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - DECEMBER 27: James Faulkner of the Hurricanes plays a shot during the Big Bash League match between the Brisbane Heat and the Hobart Hurricanes at The Gabba, on December 27, 2020, in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)
BBL - Heat v Hurricanes

Australian all-rounder James Faulkner has sensationally quit the remainder of the Pakistan Super League over a pay dispute.

The 31-year-old sent a Tweet out apologising to Pakistan cricket fans over his withdrawal due to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) not honouring his contractual obligations.

"I apologise to the Pakistan cricket fans. But unfortunately I've had to withdraw from the last 2 matches and leave the (PSL) due to the (PCB) not honouring my contractual agreement/payments," Faulkner tweeted.

"I've been here the whole duration and they have continued to lie to me.

"It hurts to leave as I wanted to help to get international cricket back in Pakistan as there is so much young talent and the fans are amazing.

"But the treatment I have received has been a disgrace from the (PCB) and (PSL).

"I'm sure you all understand my position."

The PCB wasted no time in hitting right back though, labelling Faulkner's allegations "baseless" and his behaviour "reprehensible."

"The Pakistan Cricket Board and Quetta Gladiators have issued the following statement after Mr James Faulkner made baseless allegations of non-payment and mistreatment during the HBL Pakistan Super League 2022." the statement read.

“The PCB and Quetta Gladiators are disappointed and dismayed with the reprehensible behavior of Mr James Faulkner, who was also part of the Abu Dhabi-leg of the HBL Pakistan Super League in 2021, and, along with all participants, has always been treated with utmost respect."

The statement suggests that Faulkner was paid 70 per cent of his fee (as per contractual obligations) before the tournament started, with the other 30 per cent to be paid following the conclusion of the tournament.

The board then go on to say that Faulkner changed his nominated bank account to one in Australia in January, however, the 70 per cent fee had already been paid to the other account, which was based in the UK.

The statement then mentioned that Faulkner demanded a second payment to be made to his Australian bank account before refusing to take the field. The PCB, according to the statement, engaged with Faulkner on Friday, saying his behaviour was "reprehensible and insulting"

In outing Faulkner's behaviour, the board revealed that Faulkner allegedly has had to pay damages to the hotel he is staying at for causing damage, and has acted insultingly to the board, while the board also said they had received complaints from immigration authorities that Faulkner had acted inappropriately and abusively at the airport.

"Prior to his departure on Saturday morning, Mr Faulkner caused deliberate damage to the hotel property and as a result had to pay damages to the hotel management. The PCB later also received reports and complaints from the immigration authorities that Mr Faulkner had acted inappropriately and abusively at the airport," the statement read.

The statement concluded by suggesting that Faulkner will be banned from any future Pakistan Super League tournaments.

“In wake of the above, and taking serious note of Mr James Faulkner’s gross misconduct that was an attempt to bring the PCB, Pakistan cricket and the HBL Pakistan Super League into disrepute, it has been unanimously agreed by the PCB and the franchises that Mr James Faulkner will not be drafted in future HBL Pakistan Super League events," the statement read.

Faulkner is yet to respond to the statement.