Australian fast-bowler Mitchell Starc could return sooner than expected, perhaps in time for their first test against India at the Adelaide Oval.
Starc had missed the Aussies' past two T20I's against India in Canberra and Sydney to deal with an illness in the family.
In doing so, Starc took himself out of Australian squad calculations until further notice.
Australia v India Twenty20 cricket: Mitch Starc withdraws from series on 'compassionate grounds'. I bet you the doctor's and nurses treating the Covid cases did not slip away. Another overpaid professional participant. Time for a asking.
— Chris B (@ChrisB30391964) December 6, 2020
Fellow bowler Pat Cummins gave cricket fans a small update on Starc SEN’s Dwayne’s World on Friday, hoping for the best.
“I think at this stage Mitch is looking at joining the squad in the next few days.. whatever he needs, we’ll support him,” he said.
“We’ll see if that changes or anything, but we’re hoping to have him back and if not… that’s totally fine as well.”
The Australian squad arrived in Adelaide on Wednesday ahead of next Thursday’s opening test.
Head coach Justin Langer reiterated earlier this week that family comes before anything else, especially sport.
“There is nothing in the world more important than family and in this case, Mitch is no exeception,” he told media on Monday.
Peter Nevill declared while Mitch Starc was on 86*...
— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) November 10, 2020
“We will give Mitch all the time he needs and welcome him back into the squad with open arms whenever he feels the time is right for him and his family.”