Queensland and Australian batsman Chris Lynn has been ruled out of Australia’s upcoming ODI series against England after being forced to the sidelines with a calf injury.
Lynn picked up the injury in a BBL match last Friday night and Cricket Australia confirmed the 27-year-old will miss up to a month of cricket, meaning he could potentially return in time for the Big Bash finals.
“Chris initially left the field against the Scorchers complaining of tightness in his calf,” said Cricket Australia’s Sports Science and Sports Medicine Manager Alex Kountouris.
“He reported increasing discomfort over the 24 hours that followed and the Heat’s medical staff made the decision to send him for a scan.
“That scan confirmed the injury, which is expected to prevent him from playing for three to four weeks.
“When Chris recovers, the expectation is that he will need to prove his fitness in match action before being considered again for international selection.”
Lynn, who was sidelined for all of 2017 with a shoulder injury has endured a horrid run of injuries but is determined to put in the work to get back to full fitness.
“It is annoying and I’m very disappointed to miss an opportunity with the ODI side, but I know it is minor in the scheme of things,” Lynn said.
“I have been working very hard to get myself right, and the positive thing is that my shoulder is feeling very good.
“I’ll do the work again and I am confident I will give myself a shot at playing some good cricket again soon.”
National selectors have not yet discussed a potential replacement for Lynn however Test players Shaun Marsh and Usman Khawaja would be in the fold, along with exiled Victorian Glenn Maxwell.
Maxwell was a shock omission from the squad which was named last week while Marsh has been in sublime form in all forms of the game.
Marsh’s fellow West Australian, D’Arcy Short, could also come into contention on the back of a stellar BBL campaign so far.